Balance & Fall Prevention
Holland Hospital Rehabilitation Services has a special program to help you improve balance and prevent falls and injury. Our therapists are trained in vestibular rehabilitation and help hundreds of people each year with balance concerns.
The most effective intervention to improve balance and prevent falls is a customized program that may include:
- Balance training including the Balance Master
- Strengthening exercises
- Home exercises and skill building activities
Having good balance means you’re able to control and maintain your body’s position, whether you’re in motion or remaining still. Learning about the causes of balance problems can help you prevent falls and a loss of independence. Possible causes of balance issues include:
- Inner ear problems
- Visual issues
- Physical weakness
- Low blood pressure
Four things you can do now to prevent falls:
- Have your health care provider review your medicines, including over the counter medications.
- Have your vision checked yearly. Subtle changes may increase your risk for falls. You may notice:
- Make your home a safer place. About half of falls happen at home.
- Check with your physician or medical provider to see if you should begin a regular exercise program to reduce your risk.
Holland Hospital Rehabililtation Services