Treatments and Services
The latest cardiovascular programs available at Holland Hospital encompass interventional procedures, cardiovascular surgery and cardiac rehabilitation including:
- Elective and Emergency Percutaneous Coronary Intervention(PCI)
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD)
- Outpatient support programs
Holland Hospital is one of a select number of West Michigan hospitals
that perform PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) on an elective or emergency basis. This life
saving procedure involves restoring blood flow and may involve placing a stent
within the blood vessels to maintain blood flow.
PVD (Peripheral Vascular Disease) affects blood flow on the vessels outside the heart. We offer expert treatment to remove blockage, restore and maintain blood flow.
We also perform a variety of procedures to implant pacemakers and other devices to maintain proper heart function:
- A pacemaker to help treat slow heart rates or other heart signaling problems
- A biventricular pacemaker (cardiac resynchronization therapy) to help the two sides of the heart contract at the same time
- A cardioverter-defibrillator implant to recognize
life-threatening, abnormal heart rhythms and send an electrical pulse to
Holland Hospital encourages you to become an active partner in your heart care. You can help manage your condition most effectively by understanding your risks and the warning signs of heart attack, peripheral vascular disease or heart failure. What you eat and drink, your current medicine regimen, how often you exercise and the way you handle stress each day plays a vital role in preventing a heart attack and maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system.
The most important thing you can do for your heart is to learn all you can about your condition. Through one-on-one home visits, group classes and regular phone calls, our heart care nurses help you:
- Understand your heart condition and how it affects your body
- Learn how to correctly take your medications
- Limit your salt and fluid intake in addition to an overall healthy diet plan
- Develop an exercise program appropriate to your physical abilities
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of heart attack or heart failure
Spectrum Health Heart & Vascular Center at Holland Hospital
Dr. David Johnson, MD, cardiologist with West Michigan Heart talks about lifestyle choices that can influence your chances of having heart disease.