At Holland Hospital Bone Health Services we apply the most recent medical breakthroughs and recommendations to help you attain the strongest bones possible. Our ultimate goal is to reduce your risk of suffering an osteoporosis-related fracture.
Without appropriate treatment, 86 percent of patients with a fragility fracture will fracture again in their lifetimes and often new fractures occur within a year of two of the first fracture. Still, subsequent fractures are largely preventable with prompt and appropriate treatment.
The Orthopedic surgeons at Holland Hospital are part of a nationwide program called "Own the Bone." Your physician wants to assure that you receive the type of care that has been shown to reduce future fractures and Holland Hospital Bone Health Services is here to provide you with this care.
Medical experts agree that osteoporosis is highly preventable; however, there is no cure. Hope lies in making lifestyle changes which help reduce further bone loss. This can prevent a less-serious case of osteopenia from developing into a more-serious case of osteoporosis. Diet, exercise and healthy habits are the best ways to optimize your current bone strength and slow or even reverse bone loss.
With your help, we will develop a personalized, comprehensive bone strength program based on your initial in-depth assessment and diagnosis.
Treatment always includes extensive, individualized patient education and support. Treatment may also include:
- Initiation of osteoporosis medications
- Nutritional and supplement recommendations for Calcium and Vitamin D
- Referral to physical therapy/occupational therapy, if appropriate
- Referral to Nutritional Services, if appropriate
- Referral to a smoking cessation program, if appropriate
- Recommendations and strategies for avoidance of excessive alcohol and/or soda intake
- Change in current osteoporosis therapy.