Simple tips for "Getting Your Plate In Shape"
- Make half your plate fruits & vegetables
- Make at least half your grains whole
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk
- Vary your protein choices
- Cut back on sodium and empty calories from solid fats and added sugars
Potato Cabbage Soup Recipe
The Irish commonly incorporate two main vegetables in their dishes for
St. Patrick's Day - cabbage and potatoes. Cabbage provides several
great health benefits. It is a good source of Vitamin C, fiber, and
potassium. Try this tasty potato cabbage soup to celebrate St.
Patrick's Day or any day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups boiled Idaho potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch slices
Directions: Heat oil and butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add cabbage, scallions, garlic and salt. Cook until cabbage is slightly softened about 5 minutes. Remove 1/3 cup of hte cabbage and set aside for garnish. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender about 15 minutes. Using a blender, puree until smooth and season to taste. Garnish with reserved cabbage.