People with asthma can learn to identify and avoid the things that trigger an episode, and educate themselves about medications and other asthma management strategies. Asthma is a chronic disease. It has to be cared for all the time - not just when symptoms are present. The four parts of managing asthma are:
- Identify and minimize contact with asthma triggers.
- Understand and take medications as prescribed.
- Monitor asthma to recognize signs when it is getting worse.
- Know what to do when asthma gets worse.
- Work with a healthcare professional to determine the best way to take care of your child's asthma. There are specific guidelines for children from infants to 4 years old, 5 to 11 years old, and 12 and older.